Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Confessions of A Boyfriend-Hopper

Yup, I jumped from one boyfriend to a different boyfriend within a week. I used to tell my friends never to do this, to take time to reconnect with yourself between boys and get to know yourself again. In fact, at first I was so embarrassed by what I viewed as hypocritical actions that I almost didn't post this. I was told that by posting pictures with my new boyfriend so close to the break-up with my old boyfriend that I made myself look like a not very good person.

But here's the thing. I didn't cheat on my ex-boyfriend. And I broke up with him so that I would be happier, which I told him. Being with Cory makes me happy, and the entire time I've known him and talked with him and now dated him, I've been nothing but happy.

Here's the thing. Being with someone helps you learn about yourself in other ways. I've learned that I absolutely cannot be with someone who doesn't want the same things in life as me. I've learned that I'm a hopeless romantic and don't want to date anyone who isn't. And I've learned that I'm seriously serious about all the relationships that I'm going to take part in now, and I can't be with someone who isn't. I know that I have a lot of personal growing left to do, and I have to learn to be on my own. But at the same time, I am happy. And I am going to continue to be happy in this new relationship as long as I am in it.

I would also like to say that my relationships that are nobodies business, but as a member of the online community, being on the internet and posting photos on the internet means that my relationship is definitely other people's business. When you can comment on and see every detail of a persons life, it becomes hard to keep anything private. So yes, my relationship is the business of every person that sees it on Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, or this blog. But while I choose to share a lot of things with the online community, there is a lot I don't share, because the parts of my life that are unhappy, or filled with arguments, or falling apart, are the parts that I'm not going to blatantly post on the internet for outsiders to see and comment on.

So yes, I went from a relationship that seemed amazing online to all of you viewers at home, to a relationship that is amazing on and off Facebook. Yes, I might seem like less of a person, I might seem like an unsavory woman, or whatever you want to say. But I'm happier, and feel better because of it, and I'm going to continue to live my best life for me. You're invited to watch.


Alexis Olmstead is a 20something  that is just trying to figure life out and is learning to drive. Yeah, she isn't kidding, she just learned to drive and she's terrified. She watches too much Parks and Rec and loves every minute of it. For more opinions and rants, check back often. 

P.S. That's her smokin' hot boyfriend. You like him, trust her. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment