Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Under Construction

I've decided recently that its very important to let go of the past and move to future. I know that this is not an original thought, and perhaps even a tad of a cliche thing to decide, but some people learn slower than others, ya know?

But once I decided this I realized that in order to let go of the past, I also have to address it. Those things I've been avoiding talking about because I'd rather forget them, the people I should forgive even though it's easier to hold a grudge, the people I should ask to forgive me, even though it's easier just to avoid them,  and even the things I should forgive myself for, because I am not a perfect human, and I shouldn't beat myself up for things I did years ago. So basically, I decided to renovate my life.

From this moment on, I, Alexis Olmstead am under construction to be the best that I can be. And the best part is, I'm totally excited and I don't care if people don't like the new me, I will like the new me. I want to be the fun loving girl that many of you are acquainted with, but I also want to be the introspective, scholarly girl that hasn't really had her day in the sun. (Irony of ironies, I had to use spellcheck for the word 'acquainted'). But also, I want to be kinder, more understanding, more loving, more empathetic, sympathetic, and just generally more positive.

I've been thinking about this for awhile now. It really came up a couple of days ago when I read some cat fight on Facebook and thought to myself "I wish people were nicer". Which was soon followed by, "how can I expect people to be nicer if I'm not the nicest person on the planet, either?" So a new Alexis was conceived, and now she's about to be born, under a flag that reads: Be the change you wish to see in the world. Dear reader, I really hope you get that reference.

So here's to being a new person. Here's to addressing the past so that we can move into the future, here's to me, here's to you, here's to us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment