Thursday, September 25, 2014

Author, Author!

I have always felt that writing a book about yourself is very conceited. I mean, it is easy to sit down and write about all the ways I want the world to think I'm amazing. To quote the great George Watsky "every time I write/I get to choose the angle that you view me and select the nicest light*". And to those gifted with innate writing skills, we can do a pretty good job making ourselves sound awesome. It just takes a few drafts to get us there. Anyways. I have felt for a long time that I didn't want to tell my story to the world, because I didn't want the world to think I was writing solely to gain attention. I mean, lets face it, the most notable thing that's happened in my life lately was I got fired from an overpriced burger joint (fear not! I got hired at a cute little restaurant across town). However, I do have a story, and I feel that story should be told.

Why? Because I think others can relate to it. Growing up in an abusive home makes you feel like you're on your own. Like you don't have anyone who truly understands you, because mom doesn't hit them when they forget to close the cupboard. No one but an abuse victim knows the terror that comes from seeing their abuser get upset at literally anything, and only those who have gotten out of the situation know how to help others escape from the nightmare that is their life. I escaped. I want others to know that there is a brighter day. And that's why, ladies and gents, I have decided to write a book. About myself.

Now, normally people don't tell people they're writing a book. I know that these things are kept hush hush until forced upon family and friends. But my book which will probably be titled something like "The Life and Times of a Nobody" is going to double as my NaNoWriMo project, and I am going to be spending a lot of time in the month of November not blogging here, and working on my book. Unless I magically figure out how to do both. You never know. I could be the master writer and write all the things. In one month.

Over the month of October I will be drafting the skeleton of my book, and working out how to start it. But come November 1st, off it goes, and hopefully by November 30th, we'll have a book on our hands. With all the focus on domestic violence and child abuse, and gender inequality that is happening right now, I feel like now, now is the moment to release my story into the world. NOW it will be heard and not ignored. My message of hope, survival, and sassiness will work its way around the globe and guide people through the dangerous situations they may be in and then, after I've made maximum impact, I'll curl up back in my hole, happy, and ready to hibernate.

So stay tuned, folks. "The Life and Times of a Nobody" is coming soon....ish.



*From "Tiny Glowing Screens Part 2"


Alexis Olmstead is a 20something born and raised in Okanogan County who aspires to do as much as she can in the short span of time she is on this Earth. You can check back here as often as you like to see what she has been up to, or what has pissed her off, because if Alexis is angry, there is a blog rant/opinion coming. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment