Friday, December 27, 2013

Today I Found Out I Was Plus-Sized

Caption reads: "Plus-size supermodel Robyn Lawley..."
Dear Cosmo,

Thank you so much for posting this photo on your Facebook page of your "plus-sized" model, Robyn Lawley. Now normally, I would just appreciate this photo of this flawless human being who isn't stick thin making it in the fashion industry. However, today I learned that anyone who isn't 97 pounds and curve-less is a plus sized model. Today I learned that I am a plus sized human being. Today I learned that average females are plus sized. That the fashion industry thinks that I, a girl who is comfortable with how I look, because my body is pretty similar to that of the model in this photo, is larger than normal.

For too long, I have been shopping in the junior section of the store, and buying petite sized clothing from the women's section. I understand now why I have such a hard time buying clothing. I'm not picky, I've been shopping in the WRONG SECTION. Thank you so much, Cosmopolitan, for enlightening me.

I now know that size five is gigantic and no longer will I be comfortable with myself when I look in the mirror and see my touching thighs and tiny bit of a belly pooch. I have suddenly realized that I am, in fact, fat.

Let's be serious for a second. Robyn Lawley is anything but plus sized. She looks like an average sized female. And also, to clarify, there is nothing wrong with being a plus sized human being or model. Because there are women who make it in the world of modeling who are plus sized and they are gorgeous. I mean, look at the woman to the left. She is stunning. And just as good of a model as any other girl who is more petite. But I digress.

Society is so turned around when it comes to body size that an average woman is now "heavy set". Any girl weighing more than 120 weighs too much, apparently. But as most of you hopefully realize, all sizes are beautiful sizes. We have finally reached a point in time when we are starting to realize that big is beautiful, but at the same time many people have come to the conclusion that skinny girls aren't real women. And that's not true either.

But just because we are starting to realize that big isn't bad doesn't mean media like this isn't harmful. While there is no single cause of eating disorders, many studies have found that a leading contributor to body dissociation and eating disorders is the media and their unrealistic expectations of the way that women should look. This definition of what a "real woman" is is harmful to women in more ways than one. Either we're too fat or too thin and we can't make society happy, and that sucks.

Let's break this down really simple. All people who identify as female are real women. Calling a clearly average sized female a plus sized model is bad. It shames women for being the size they are, even if they are perfectly healthy. Cosmo is perpetuating the idea that average is wrong, and thinning is winning and things like that. But then again, if we all were happy with the way we looked and who we are, how would they make any money?

You've lost a customer, Cosmopolitan Magazine.

Sincerely, 

Alexis The "Plus Sized" and Proud Girl

0 comments:

Post a Comment